Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Services2019-05-01T16:13:13+00:00

Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) Services

Industrial facilities with hazardous materials on site are required to have a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) in place for the safety and security of employees, first responders and the environment. The HMBP must be updated each year. Frog Environmental offers Environmental Health and Safety Services, making it convenient for customers to achieve compliance in the areas of storm water and EH&S. It is important to maintain compliance in EH&S to avoid violations from inspections by local Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPAs) such as fire departments, cities and counties, depending on which area of California a facility is located in. Contact us today by clicking here or calling 310-241-0866 for a FREE site evaluation to determine your EH&S compliance needs and how Frog Environmental can help.

Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)

HMBPs are required for any business that has hazardous materials and/or hazardous waste on site in quantities that meet or exceed any of the following thresholds at any one time during the year:

  • 55 gal. of liquid hazardous materials (one drum)
  • 200ft³. of compressed gas (one large cylinder)
  • 500 lbs. of solid hazardous materials

If a facility exceeds these thresholds, they must prepare:

  • Business Plan/Company Overview
  • Hazardous Material Inventory
  • Site Map
  • Contingency Plan

This information is uploaded online to the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) and evaluated and resubmitted on an annual basis. Frog Environmental offers short term or extended term contracts to handle the HMBP.

Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan (SPCC)

Does your facility store oil in an Above Ground Storage Tank (AST) with a capacity at or greater than 1320 gallons or an Underground Storage Tank (UST) with capacity at or greater than 42,000 gallons? If you meet these criteria, your site is likely required to establish an SPCC to prepare for an accidental spill.

Oil-based products requiring an SPCC include:

  • Petroleum
  • Machine coolants (water-soluble synthetic cutting fluids used in CNC machines, mills, lathes etc.
  • Fuel oil
  • Sludge
  • Oil refuse
  • Fats
  • Greases or oils of animal, fish or marine mammal origin
  • Vegetable oils
  • Synthetic oils
  • Mineral oils

Facilities with less than 10,000 gallons of cumulative storage capacity must complete a “Tier I” plan (self-certified). Facilities in excess of 10,000 gallons must complete a “Tier II” plan which must also be reviewed and certified by a Professional Engineer (PE). SPCC plans are evaluated and resubmitted every five years. Frog Environmental will develop a unique plan tailored to your facility or review an existing plan to ensure it is still compliant.

Slug Discharge Control Plans (SDCP)

The SDCP is required for facilities that have a waste discharge permit and experience non-routine discharges to their wastewater systems that are episodic in nature, including accidental spills or non-customary batch discharges. The plan can be required by sanitation districts when a facility is considered to have a reasonable potential to cause interference or pass through, or in any other way violate applicable ordinances, local limits or permit conditions.

In layman’s terms, a “slug” is any unplanned discharge into the sewer that the facility is not permitted to discharge. The purpose of an SDCP is to evaluate possible sources of slug discharges and have a plan in place to prevent it from happening.